Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Future of the game

Christian has informed me, for various reasons, he will be dropping out of the Sunday game.


That leaves us with 5 regulars; Bruce, Dave, Jon, David and myself. Brian is a sometimes participant and I suspect that Russ and Randy are now in the retired category (but still welcome mind you). I can remove you from the blog distribution if you like but again you are welcome to lurk.

I would like to have a discussion about the future of the game. Having fewer players is both bane and boon. On the good side, combats and storyline will move faster. On the bad side, absent players make it more likely for canceled sessions. We could also recruit a few new players. I know that Bruce has someone at work that is interested.

I have been running the Fane of the Fallen adventure as it is easy to prepare and is the appropriate level for the characters that everyone had. Of late, we have been playing sporadically and it seems that the storyline is being lost and there is a lack of energy to the game in general. I am willing to continue running this if everyone is onboard and having fun but I am also willing to try something else.

The something else would likely be another prepared Pathfinder adventure or adventure path starting with new guys and lower level. The reality of creating my own material, with the time I have available and the backlog of purchased adventures, seems slim. Changing systems would also likely become disruptive.

I am not sure that playing PFS is a solution as we already have trouble with getting the core Tuesday guys (where four of us play regularly) to the appropriate levels. Also the changes in the module rules make playing those for credit harder too.

I do not have the solutions but I am open to suggestions.

5 comments:

  1. I never counted on Chris showing up with any regularity. Not saying that to be mean (no, really), that's just how it is.

    Despite his recent absences, David is fairly reliable. That makes 5 of us: Keith, Bruce, Dave, Jon, David. Four is the ideal number of players as far as gaming mechanics and the FBMFG go. As far as real life goes, however, I think five is a better number. I think we should give Bruce's workmate or someone like Falk an invite.

    If you want to continue with Fane of the Fallen, we will gleefully play it. We wont remember important plot points if we start doing an every-other-month rotation. That doesnt bother US so much, but if it bothers YOU, you should switch to something else. I have no problem playing PFS on Sunday, especially at low level (I need to level up some more lowbies).

    ReplyDelete
  2. On further thought, the guy I work with would most likely be unreliable, as he has (mostly) full custody of his young child.

    Matt Falk would be the obvious choice if we are going to invite another player.

    I'm happy with Fane of the Fallen. I would have trouble remembering any adventure month-to-month.

    I don't know if PFS would go over well on Sundays. I'd play/run them if we did choose to go that route.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will extend an invite to Matt after he gets back from Vegas.

    We also have Rob that we met through Steve. He is one of Kati's robotics advisors. He seemed nice enough and had an interest in playing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No opinion on Matt or Rob. I don't know them.

    David may or may not continue to be a Sunday regular once he returns to the Post Office later this year (presumably).

    Fane of the Fallen works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PFS would work well on Sundays. We'd actually finish the scenarios.

    ReplyDelete